Sunday, May 01, 2005

My Sistas- not in a genetic sense- 4 Life

This past weekend, I ventured to the land of the “sistas.” I’m not referring to my biological sisters Amy and Maryam, rather my soul sistas. A few Baha’i friends from the Bay Area put on “Sister Saturdays;” a place for woman to gather and talk about what is on their mind. Although, I am not allowed to fully explain our intimate discussions and rituals due to members of the other gender who happen to be readers of this blog, I will tell as much as I am permitted to.

As I walked into the Baha’i house, the smell of food and estrogen filled the air. We started off by lighting the altar dedicated to the greatest sista of all…Oprah. Continuing with a verbal exercise of discussing what is on each ladies mind aka talk about how one’s husband doesn’t help around the house, insecurities with one’s physical appearance, and the personal struggles that all women go through. With my home girl Erykah Badu’s CD grooving in the background we started with the health and healing component. This included making our own salt scrubs and wraps and giving each other facials with Miracle Wip. I’m not really the “only hang out with girls” type; the thought of spending more than ten minutes in a Sorority House gives me the major heeebie jeebies. Yet, this weekend I walked out of there with twelve new soul sista’s and I can now officially say that I, too, am a Sista!

Oh yeah, Happy MAY DAY to all!!!!

Written While Listening to “Mayfly” by Belle and Sebastian

No comments: