Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Life Lesson from A Rod (and i'm not talking about my Dad)

A few years back when my brother was at Spring Training with the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez gave a talk about how to be a champion. He said that the great champion athletes limit their daily thoughts to only 500 thoughts per day. They exercise blocking out the insignificant thoughts and focus on what they want to be. For example, A-Rod would repeat the mantra ‘I’m going to get a .350 batting average, I’m going to get a .350 batting average” throughout his daily.
I still think that’s near impossible (but, hey I’m not a champion athlete). But, for this week I have developed a modified self-focused plan. I’m going to limit myself to one large activity per day and focus all of my energy and thoughts into making that event the best it could possibly be. On Monday I focused all of my energy and going to see Star Wars and it perhaps was the best Star Wars-movie-watching-experience I could possibly have (the only way it could have been better is if some one in the audience was dressed as Chewbaca or C-3PO). Yesterday, I focused my thoughts on attending my Yoga class and I had the best darn yoga session ever! I’ve decided that tomorrow’s activity will be taking over the world!! (or going to the rec pool, depends on the weather).

Written While Listening to “Old Soul Song” by Bright Eyes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh May, May, May! You are so funny. I love reading your blog. seriously! May wouldn't be May without May's day. (This May is the month May, in case anyone has any doubts!)