Monday, April 11, 2005

The Mishk

The current trend in my studying habits, and the central hub for most of my Davis peeps, is a small coffee shop in downtown Davis called Mishka’s. Mishka’s is Davis’ attempt on a Bohemian style fair trade coffee shop. The second you step into the small coffee shop, you are greeted with a quasi smile and the watchful working eyes making sure you sit in the proper “study” or “non-study” areas and more importantly don’t sit down before you buy something. Just at the south had the “white” and “black” sides in restaurants pre-civil rights era, Mishka’s has a clear line between academic and non-academic sitting areas and if you dare cross over to the other side, Mishka in the flesh will drag you to your proper side.

My favorite part about Mishka’s is the “regulars” who are dedicated followers of the coffee cult of the Mishk. It’s comforting to have such a consistent place in my life; just as Zack Morris could walk into the Max and know that A.C. would be sitting at a booth in a backwards chair; I too can count on these regulars. Although I have not actually spoken to these mysterious regulars, I have given them names and made up stories in my head of what they are studying and what they do when leave the mystifying land of Mishka’s.
At times the Mishka’s experience can be overwhelming. The gypsy kings being played on the stereo, the frequent stench of the roasting of coffee beans, and so many people crammed so closely together often leads to claustrophobia. But just as Sam Malone and Norm had Cheers, I too have a place where everyone knows my name, or at least imagine what my name would be…maybe they think my name is Bertha or Petunia.

Happy Birthday Markiks!
Written While Listening to “Everything’s Not Lost” by Coldplay

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May,
you didn't even give the regulars the respect of providing their names, so i shall:
-Mishk: the guy who pretends he's studying, but really preys on the fine ladies who really did come to study. The Mishk's distinctive feature is his hair parted in the middle like a school boy.

-Kusra: Kasra's less attractive twin, who prefers the outside seating, and totally thinks i'm stalking him because I always stare at the bizarre resemblence.

-Gary Bulkin: Gary Bulkin at 24 has been reincarnated and now frequents Mishka's cafe.

...one can only hope there will be more characters to come...

Anonymous said...

May, from now on I am one of your frequent readers! :) Imagine what my name could be, Rita...or...Minerva!

Anonymous said...

haha i never read blogs but i'm afraid i may start reading yours... btw isn't roya funny? it's my influence; she takes after me. and thanks for the Linksys- after months of living in the dark ages, my internet finally works. i'll give it back to you when i move out this summer. tell my sis i say hi, apparently she thinks i'm avoiding her.