Sunday, April 24, 2005

Lean to the Left, Lean to the Right, Stand Up, Sit Down, FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!!!

I attended a private Catholic High School. My parent’s original intent in sending their Baha’i children to a Catholic School was for the renowned athletics and academics. I could only speak for my own high school experience, but from what I hear of the public high school assembly scene is that assemblies were limited to magazine drives, pep rallies, and a good opportunity to ditch school. The Santa Margarita Eagles typically put on a darn good pep ralley and our magazine drive assemblies were above mediocre, but we often had inspirational speakers at our assemblies. These were typically paid speakers that toured conferences and high schools to tell their stories to young eager high school listeners about pro-life or abstinence. Most of these assemblies provided a good opportunity to pass notes and attempt to find your friends in the bleachers across the gym.

Last night at dinner with friends, I was recalling the most memorable speaker; A man who was born with no arms and played the guitar with his feet. I explained how he played Frisbee with his neck and shoulder and demonstrated how he washed his hair without arms. Of course, my friends didn’t believe me and immediately mocked my story. So today I set myself the goal of searching for this no-armed-guitar-player. It took me a while because I wasn’t sure what exactly to search for. “no arm man” and “armless guitar” didn’t quite work. It was finally “no arm guitar” that was successful. He’s playing in Sacramento next October if anyone is down to see him.

Written While Listening to “You’re My Best Friend’ by Queen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually saw this tow strumming guitarist on the Christian channel on Friday night. He came on after Harold Camping (the man with the enormous ears) finished answering the questions of callers.

I was quite impressed by this mans ability to strum with his big toe, while his other foot did a poor job of keeping the guitar still while on the ground. This makes his feat even more impressive.

Unlike May, I didn't like his music. He had my attention for a minute while I observed his feet. I would imagine that a man who has his feet on display so much would do a better job grooming. Apparently imagination isn't reality.
~Omid